I made bread dough Friday.
It was doomed to fail.
To start with, I added too much water. I was on the phone and distracted and forgot to measure it out. So I added a little more flour hoping I had the right consistency. After letting it sit for about 10 minutes, it was apparent that it wasn’t enough. But it was too late to add any more.
Then on top of that, I didn’t have time to do all four “stretch and fold” repetitions. I was in a rush and running late for my lunch date with N, so I just did two. I was hoping that it would tighten up during it’s overnight fermentation.
On Saturday, knowing that my dough was really wet, I dumped a ton of flour on my board and plopped the mass of dough on it. This dough was so wet it was like trying to shape pudding. I did my best to form it into the signature Ciabatta shape and crossed my fingers.
After a couple of hours, it hadn’t really risen much but rather flatted out a fair bit. So I figured “what the hell” and decided to bake it anyway thinking I’d wind up with something more like pita bread or pizza dough.
This is how it turned out.
It had risen nearly twice it’s size in the oven.
And this is what it looked like on the inside. Look at those holes!
As luck would have it…THIS is the bread I have been trying to make for the past year. No Joke.
Take THAT perfection!